Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What It Takes to Burn Off High-Cal Foods | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog

Burger Recipe

If you want to indulge in that burger, here's how you can burn it off.

Calories in and calories out — the calories you eat from food are expended with physical activity. When eating outweighs what you’re burning, you can pack on the pounds. High-cal foods take more exercise to get rid of, and sometimes it makes it more real to visualize just how much moving you’d have to do to shed those decadent calories.

Crunching the Numbers
The values below are average based on a 155-pound person.

Dessert Damage

  • 2 small scoops of chocolate ice cream = 1 hour 20 minutes of tennis
  • 1 medium strawberry milkshake = 1 hour 30 minutes of high intensity aerobics
  • 1 slice cheesecake (restaurant portion) = 1 hour 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer

Fast Food Frenzy

  • A large order of French fries = 1 hour of swimming laps
  • Bacon cheeseburger = 1 hour of fast running at 8 mph
  • Fried chicken sandwich = 45 minutes hiking

Takeout Trouble

  • 1 slice pepperoni pizza = 30 minutes of medium-paced jogging
  • Medium-sized movie popcorn with butter = 1 hour 20 minutes of downhill skiing
  • 1 order General Tso’s chicken = 2 hours on the stair-climber

Snacking

  • A candy bar = 1 hour of brisk walking at 3.75 mph
  • A (12-fluid ounce) can of soda = 30 minutes of volleyball
  • A 1-ounce bag of potato chips (15 chips) = 45 minutes of weight-lifting

Damage Control
We aren’t suggesting banishing these foods from your diet forever, but if you want to indulge a little more sensibly, consider:

  • Serving up smaller portions
  • Indulging only on occasion
  • Increase your calorie burn by getting out there and exercising more often

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. Yes, obesity price is so high. Good luck! I have researched much as I am not convinced that weight loss surgery is my option, and I am glad that I found something that saved me from the surgical knife cost and complications as well as irreversible damage. Roca Labs gastric bypass no surgery has helped me loss 43 lbs and still counting... I am glad that I am winning back a healthy weight and, this is -- priceless! I am sharing this to let others know that there are better alternative to surgery and a healthy approach to weight problems. After the program, I believe I can get myself another gift -- fitness! I will continue with the healthy habits, no more junks and mouth to stomach garbage and I can start to workout when joints are no longer in pains with this morbid obesity... There is still a better after us and we deserve it in any ages! Please don't get me wrong, I considered surgery before but, I discovered an option. Whichever way, best of luck with your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete